Friday, December 2, 2016

Learn How to Say “whether or not” in Japanese



More useful grammar and phrases in today’s post on Guide to Learn Japanese. What we will learn in today’s post is learning how to say “whether or not” in Japanese. Let’s find out.
ほんとう に ある か どう か わからない - Whether it will really be there or not, I do not know.
ほんとう に ある  わからない - Whether it will really be there, I do not know
Word to learn
ほんとう、本当 - real, really
Explanation
There are two ways to express “whether or not” in Japanese. One is the どう and the other is the particle . To use it successfully, you may add it after the following:
plain verbs e.g みえるか どう か わからない - Able to see it or not, I do not know.
verbs e.g あった わからない - It’s there or not, I do not know
and adjectives e.g あついか どう か、わからない - Whether hot or not, I do not know
noun + particle e.g かれ の ほん の か わからない - Whether it’s his book or not, I do not know

This might seem confusing for new Japanese learners, but don’t worry, with practice comes understanding. Short post for today though, enjoy learning Japanese!

No comments:

Post a Comment